Fairytale Princess Cake
- 2 box
- betty crocker super moist yellow cake mix
- water, oil, and eggs called for on cake mix box
- containers of betty crocker rich and creamy vanilla frosting or make your own
- red food color
- 1/4 c
- betty crocker star-shaped decors or use a star tip, disposable decorating bag and make stars
- 1 c
- solid white vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp
- wilton flavor (vanilla, almond or butter) i used almond flavor
- 2 Tbsp
- milk or water ( i use water.)
- 1 lb
- cane confectioners' sugar (approximately 4 cups). i measured out 4 cups
- 1 Tbsp
- wilton meringue powder (yes i use this)
- a pinch
- of salt ( you don't need more than this)
- use a wilton tip #16 and the stiff consistency of the icing. when you make up your icing make the stiff consistency set some aside to make the stars on the dress and the border. then add the two teaspoons of water per cup of frosting.
PROFESSIONAL WILTON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
MAKING YOUR OWN STARS ON THE CAKE AND BORDER
How to Make Fairytale Princess Cake
- 1Heat oven to 325°F. Grease a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof bowl (8 inches across top) and three 8-inch round cake pans with shortening; coat with flour (do not use cooking spray).
- 2In large bowl, make both cake mixes as directed on boxes. (Two boxes of cake mix can be made at one time; do not make more than 2 boxes, and do not increase beating time.) Pour 3 1/4 cups batter into 1 1/2-quart bowl and divide remaining batter among 3 pans (almost 2 cups batter into each cake pan).
- 3Bake cake pans 23 to 30 minutes and bowl 47 to 53 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and bowl; place rounded sides up on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Chill cake in freezer 45 minutes before cutting to reduce crumbs, if desired. If necessary, cut off rounded tops of cakes. Cut bowl cake in half horizontally. Cut 2-inch-diameter hole in center of all 5 cake layers.
- 4Spoon frosting into large bowl. Stir in enough food color until desired pink color. Place one 8-inch cake on serving plate; spread 1/3 cup frosting over top. Top with second 8-inch cake; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Repeat with third layer; top with larger bowl cake layer, cut side up. Spread with a small amount of frosting. Top with rounded bowl cake layer, cut side down. Trim side of cake if necessary to make a tapered "skirt."
- 7Fit #24 star tip into decorating bag. Spoon 1/4 cup pink frosting into decorating bag; set aside. Starting at waist of doll, frost cake with downward strokes to make ruffled skirt. Use star tip to cover bodice of doll and add decoration to skirt if desired. Gently press star decors into frosting to decorate neckline and skirt. Unwrap hair. Store cake loosely covered.