- 5 oz
- candied cherries
- 11 oz
- all purpose flour
- 3 oz
- chopped walnuts
- 3 oz
- ground almonds
- 10 oz
- 2 lb 1 oz
- eggs (same weight as butter)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 large
- granny smith apple (grated)
- drinking sherry
- 2 tsp
- mixed spices
How to Make English Fruitcake
- 1Soak currants in sherry for 2 days.
- 2Sift together flour, ground almond and spices.
- 3Cream butter and sugar then add honey and mix.
- 4Add 1 egg at a time alternating with flour mixture. When well mixed, add all fruit and apple.
- 5Put into a 9" round or 8" square pan, 3" deep, lined with parchment paper.
- 6Put cake in a preheated oven of 130 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven down to 120 degrees and bake for another 4 1/2 hours. She noted this is her time but my oven may be different.
- 7When cooked, leave in pan till cake is cold.
- 8Remove cake from pan, and leave in parchment paper. Pierce top with a skewer and pour brandy over cake and wrap in foil.
- 9Cake will mature in one month. Brandy may be added once a week during the fermenting time.
- 10NOTE: having several friends from England, I know that they cook according to weight. Thus the reason for the directions for the eggs being the same weight as the butter. So until I make this myself, I do not know how many eggs that would be.