5 ozcandied cherries
11 ozall purpose flour
3 ozchopped walnuts
3 ozground almonds
2 lb 1 ozcurrants
·eggs (same weight as butter)
1 largegranny smith apple (grated)
2 tspmixed spices
How to Make English Fruitcake
- Soak currants in sherry for 2 days.
- Sift together flour, ground almond and spices.
- Cream butter and sugar then add honey and mix.
- Add 1 egg at a time alternating with flour mixture. When well mixed, add all fruit and apple.
- Put into a 9" round or 8" square pan, 3" deep, lined with parchment paper.
- Put cake in a preheated oven of 130 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven down to 120 degrees and bake for another 4 1/2 hours. She noted this is her time but my oven may be different.
- When cooked, leave in pan till cake is cold.
- Remove cake from pan, and leave in parchment paper. Pierce top with a skewer and pour brandy over cake and wrap in foil.
- Cake will mature in one month. Brandy may be added once a week during the fermenting time.
- NOTE: having several friends from England, I know that they cook according to weight. Thus the reason for the directions for the eggs being the same weight as the butter. So until I make this myself, I do not know how many eggs that would be.