Em's Best Southern Pound Cake
**I hope that after all these many years, Sharon's mom, in Greenville, S.C., will not object to my calling the recipe, "Em's best...".
- 1 lb.
- 3 cups
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 4 cups
- cake flour (do not use self-rising)
- extra large eggs
- lemons-for glaze
- 2 cups
- powered sugar, sifted
- thoroughly - squeeze lemons, mix with powdered sugar, drizzle over hot cake, still in the tube pan
A PRIZE WINNING POUND CAKE!
How to Make Em's Best Southern Pound Cake
- 1Cut butter into small pieces and cream with the sugar. Add the ten eggs, beaten slightly, a little at a time. Add the vanilla extract. (Substitute vanilla with almond, if you like.)
- 2Add the salt to the flour. using a sturdy mixer, add the cake flour to the wet mixture. Prepare your separating tube pan with Crisco/flour or baking spray which is cleaner. (Be liberal in preparing the pan.)Lump the thick batter evenly into the pan.
- 3Use real butter; use pure vanilla extract. I keep these ingredients on hand all the time. These are key to the flavor of the cake!
- 4Place the pan in the center of the oven. Cook at 325 F. for approx. 1 1/2 hours. Do not overcook, or the cake will be dry.
- 5**After drizzling the glaze on the hot cake, use a thin metal spatula and separate the cake gently around the circumference, allowing the glaze the flow down the outside of the cake. Let it sit a few minutes. **Don't stick holes into the cake for the glaze; the cake won't look 'pretty' when you slice it.
- 6To remove the tube with the heavy cake, I use a large wooden spoon through the tube. Carefully loosen the bottom of the cake and turn the cake over on your hand. Avoid up-ending the cake on a plate, as the top need to look "pretty" as well. Have a plate or Tupperware cake box ready for the bottom of the cake to rest on.