Edible Easter Baskets
- 1 box
- plain white cake mix
- 1 box
- (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- large whole eggs
- large egg whites
- 1 Tbsp
- coconut flavoring
- 8 Tbsp
- (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3 c
- powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-4 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c
- sweetened flaked coconut
- drops green food coloring
- candies; jellybeans, malted milk balls, reese's pieces eggs, etc
- chocolate flavored twizzlers, trimmed
How to Make Edible Easter Baskets
- 1Preheat ovento 350. Drop liners into 2, 12 count cupcake pans.
- 2Place cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs, egg whites, and coconut flavoring in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl, and beat on medium for 2 minutes, scraping sides if needed. Batter will be very thick.
- 3Fill each cupcake 2/3 full of batter. Bake cupcakes until they are lightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 22-25 minutes. Remove pans from oven and place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the Buttercream Frosting. Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 3 T of milk, and vanilla. Beat on low until sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add up to 1 T more milk if the frosting seems too stiff.
- 5Place coconut in a Ziploc bag with 2 drops of green food coloring. Shake well until the coconut turns green. If you'd like a stronger color, add another drop and shake again.
- 6To assemble: Place frosting on each cupcake and smooth out, covering the tops completely. Immediately sprinkle on the coconut to resemble grass and place candies in the middle to resemble eggs. To create the basket handle, trim about 1.5 inches off the end of a Twizzler, and insert one end of it in one side of the cupcake near the edge, bend, and insert the other end in opposite side. (I found it easier if I first made small holes in each cupcake with a knife)