Easy Lemon Pound Cake
- 10 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 1/4 c
- 2 large
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 2 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
How to Make Easy Lemon Pound Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees for conventional ovens or 325 degrees for a convection oven. Grease and flour a loaf pan 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 (I use a cast iron Lodge Pan).
- 2Measure the buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to mix. Set aside. Measure the flour, salt, and baking powder in another medium bowl and stir to mix. Set aside. Using a zester or microplane, grate the lemon rind. Measure two teaspoonsful and set aside.
- 3In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with the sugar until fluffy. I do this by hand. Add eggs one at time, beating well each time. Add the zest and stir to mix.
- 4Add the flour mix and buttermilk mix all at once to the creamed butter/sugar. Stir until well mixed, but don't over mix.
- 5Scrape batter into prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon to distribute evenly and pack down so there are no air pockets.
- 6Bake in oven for about 65 minutes. Test with a pick. Ovens vary and pans vary, so start checking at around 55 minutes to be sure that you are not over baking. Some pans may need 70 minutes.
- 7Cool cake on rack in pan for 7 - 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely on rack.
- 8Serve at room temperature. Slice 1/2" wide or more with a good bread saw as the cake is tender with a bit of a crust on the outside.
- 9Keep well wrapped or covered to prevent drying out.