EASTER BONNET CAKE - easy cake mix
Nancy J. Patrykus
I found this recipe and picture in the 1998 Family Circle magazine.
It was featured on the cover.
Thank you Family Circle.
It so beautiful and easy!!
A joy to behold!
My Easter recipe # 5
- 1 box
- yellow ( 18.25) oz) cake mix
- 16 oz (each) containers vanilla frosting
- drops yellow food coloring
- candy flowers and leaves for decorations
- 1 ribbon for decoration. your choice and color
How to Make EASTER BONNET CAKE - easy cake mix
- 1Heat oven to 325..
Prepare cake mix as following directions, using the ingredients as indicated on package.
Coat 11 inch tart pan (with a removable bottom) and a 4 cup oven proof bowl (6 inches across top) with a non stick cooking spray.
Pour 3 cups of cake batter into the prepared tart pan, filling it up about 1/2 way.
Pour the remaining batter, about 1-1/2 cups into the prepared bowl.
Bake the tart pan about 20 to 25 minutes.
The bowl about 30-35 minutes.
Cool both tart pan and bowl on a wire racks for 15 minutes.
Un-mold the cakes onto racks and cool completely.
If necessary, trim top of bowl cake so it is flat and level.
- 2Spoon both containers of frosting into a large micro-wave safe bowl. Whisk in 4 drops of food coloring for desired shade..
Microwave the frosting on high power until a good spreading consistency, about 30 seconds.
Spread frosting with a metal spatula over the tart cake.
Then spread frosting over the inverted bowl cake.
Reserve left over frosting. Place cakes in refrigerator to set..about 20 minutes.
- 3Place tart cake on a platter, or aluminum-foil covered cardboard. Place the bowl cake, flat side down on top of tart cake to form the bonnet.
Spread the remaining frosting over the entire cake for a finished surface. If the frosting becomes to firm to spread, reheat as needed to keep frosting spreadable.
Wrap the ribbon around base of the bonnet and make a decorative bow.
Arrange candy flowers and leaves as pictured.
Sit back and take a minute to enjoy your newly created beautiful bonnet.
Be sure to take a few pictures!!!