Earthquake Cake... Lemon
I am posting it per a request by my Friend Pat.
p.s. Over the years I added a few of my own touches to the recipe.
1 1/4 cflaked coconut
1 1/4 c*chopped pecans, plus extra for garnish
1 pkglemon cake mix
1 1/4 cwater
1/4 cveg. oil
1 pkg(8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cbutter, melted
1 cpowdered sugar
·whipped cream (optional)
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350° (OR AT 325°); 2 - OPTIONS FOR BAKING
*OPTIONAL: HOLD BACK A FEW OF THE CHOPPED NUTS TO SPRINKLE OVER THE TOP JUST BEFORE POPPING CAKE INTO THE OVEN
How to Make Earthquake Cake... Lemon
- Mix together coconut & pecans and spread in the bottom of a 'buttered' 9x13" pan.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Beat for 2 min. on med. speed.
- Pour the cake mix batter over the nuts & coconut.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, butter & powdered sugar and cream together
- Drop the cream cheese mixture in dollops into the batter already in pan and sprinkle chopped nut over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 55 minutes OR at 325° for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- When plated add a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Note from Cin:
To make cake healthier...use a sugar-free cake mix and fat-free cream cheese.
Making your own homemade powdered sugar from Splenda:
Cin's "Homemade Powdered Sugar for Diabetics" and a Frosting made with it
You could also use Cool Whip Lite instead of heavy whipped cream.