Earl Grey Tea Cake
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This cake is a winner on account of its lightly sweet flavor AND its delectable aroma. It made the Test Kitchen smell absolutely WONDERFUL while baking. This would be a terrific recipe to try for your next brunch, luncheon or tea.
NOTE: The recipe calls for a cooking time of one hour, but the cake needed a little more time in our oven before it was done all the way through. Final cooking time for us was just at 1 1/2 hours, so keep an eye on it and only remove from the oven once a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The Test Kitchen
2 call-purpose flour
1 cunsalted butter
1 1/3 csugar
2 Tbsploose Earl Grey tea leaves ( about 5 bags)
3/4 cwater (these 3 ingredients for glaze)
4Earl Grey tea bags
2 csifted icing sugar
How to Make Earl Grey Tea Cake
- Grease a 9 x 5 pan.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour and salt to blend. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat the butter, sugar, tea leaves and vanilla on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy and the scent of the tea leaves begins to emerge. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each one.
- Gradually add the flour mixture in 3 parts beating until combined. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool.
- Glaze: Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over the teabags and let steep for five minutes until very strong.
- Remove tea bags and stir in powdered sugar. Drizzle over cake.