Dulce Leche Buttercream Cake
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (or yellow cake made from scratch. your preference)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 sticks of butter (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teasoon salt
How to Make Dulce Leche Buttercream Cake
- 1Remove label from sweetened condensed milk can. Boil entire can of milk on rapid constant boil for 1.5 hours. Set aside and allow to cool while preparing cake and frosting.
- 2Mix one tablespoon of cinnamon into yellow cake mix and bake cake in two separate cake pans according to box/recipe directions. Allow to cool on cooling rack.
- 3While waiting for cake and milk to cool prepare buttercream frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
1.Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.
- 4Once cake and milk has cooled remove cake from pans and place one cake on plate. Cover cake with sweet milk. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add other cake on top. Butter with butter cream frosting.
Note: I keep this cake in the refrigerator overnight if not serving immediately because of the milk and buttercream frosting. The cake and frosting will harden in the refrigerator. Allow cake to sit at room temperature before serving if you keep the cake in refrigerator overnight.