Ultimate Double Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Anna Mae Kantor
- 3 c
- cake flour, plus more for pan
- 1 c
- (2 sticks) butter (softened, plus 1/2 cup melted used in icing)
- 2 1/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 5 large
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/4 c
- whole buttermilk
- 1 1/2 c
- firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 can(s)
- (20 oz) crushed pineapple (drained well, reserving juice)
- 1 can(s)
- (20 oz) sliced pineapple (drained well, reserving juice)
- 1 jar(s)
- maraschino cherries
- pineapple buttercream frosting (recipe follows)
- chopped pecans, optional
How to Make Ultimate Double Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1Coat 2 (9 inch) round cake pans with Crisco and flour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, stir to blend, then put aside.
- 2In the mixer bowl, beat 1 cup butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating the buttermilk. Meaning --start with 1/3 or more flour, then 1/2 of the buttermilk, then another 1/3 flour, then the rest of the buttermilk, ending with the rest of the flour, beating only until blended well.
- 3Divide the brown sugar evenly into each pan and pour the melted butter equally over the brown sugar. Make an arrangement of the sliced pineapple in one of the cake pans on top of the melted butter and brown sugar, placing a cherry in the center of each slice of pineapple. If there are any left over pineapple slices -- save for another time.
- 4In the other 9 inch cake pan, spread out the crushed pineapple over the butter and brown sugar. Cut in half a few cherries and place over the pineapple. (This is the bottom layer of the cake)
- 5Pour equal amounts of cake batter over the pineapple and bake until a cake tester comes out clean. (40 - 45 minutes) Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes then invert the cakes onto cake racks to cool completely
- 6Cake assembly-- Carefully place the cake with the crushed pineapple (pineapple side UP), on a cake plate. Then very carefully place the layer with the sliced pineapple (pineapple side UP) on top of the other layer.
- 7Pineapple Buttercream Icing --
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice (or more if needed)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
Beat these ingredients together until well combined adding the desired amount of pineapple juice (only a measured tablespoon at a time)to acquire right consistency.
Frost around the sides of the cake with the Pineapple Buttercream Frosting and then if desired, add the chopped pecans pressing them into the frosting with your fingers.
- 8ENJOY !!!!!