Dobos Torte (Hungarian drum cake)
6egg whites, separated
175 g(6oz) sugar
150 g(5oz) self raising flour
CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM
100 g(4oz) sugar
100 ml(3.5 fl oz) water
225 g(8 oz) unsalted butter
100 g(4 oz) plain chocolate
150 g(5 oz) sugar
How to Make Dobos Torte (Hungarian drum cake)
- Being that this is a 7 layer cake it is to your benefit if you have 7x 20cm (8in)tins of the same size but you can juggle between 2 or 3 cake tins.
Preheat oven to 200C or 400F. This is a very sticky batter so do not think I am over doing the prep work on the tins. Grease the tin and line with baking paper, then grease the paper and flour it. It is not over kill and to get nice clean layers you will have to do this to each layer each time.
- LAYERS:- Whisk the egg whites till firm. Add the sugar in and whisk till it falls off the spoon in thick ribbons. Add the lemon zest and gently fold in 1/3 of the flour, and repeat till all the flour is incoprorated.
Divide the mixture between the preped tins. (See why 7 times are easier)
Pop 2 to 3 of the pans in at a time (depending on how your oven works) It should only take a few mins to cook the layers so keep an eye on them when in the oven.
When cooked take them out of the pan as fast as you can and cool on a rack.
- CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM:- Dissolve the sugar and the water in a heavy bottomed pot then bring it to a boil and cook the syrup over a medium heat 102C or 215F or untill the syrup spins a fine thread from the spoon.
In another bowl whisk the egg yolks untill thick and creamy. Slowly pour the hot syrup over the egg yolks whilst constantly beating till cool (has to be cool before next step)and fluffy. Best done in a food processor or mixer.
In yet Another bowl beat the butter till light and fluffy. Add egg yolk mixture slowly to butter whilst it is still beating. If the egg mixture is too hot it will just melt the butter and make the cream oily. When all mixed together put in fridge to cool slightly, you do not want it hard yet.
- Place 6 of the 7 layers out and devide 2/3s of the butter cream between the 6 layers. Use your best layer as your 7th. Smear each Layer with the butter cream and place one of top of the other. With the remaining 1/3 of butter cream smear the sides of the stack and smooth out. Cool in fridge. Leave a little butter cream so you can angle the 7th layer up in flutes.
- CARAMEL GLAZE:- To make the glaze put the sugar into a pot with just enough drops of lemon juice to aid in dissolving. Cook over low heat, stiring constantly till glaze changes colouor. Pour this glaze over the 7th layer straight away and allow to set. When Glaze is set cut into 8 wedges and with a small amount of butter cream place the wedges in a fan like pattern.