Delicious Holiday Cake
1 box8 oz. pitted dates, chopped
1 cboiling water
1/3 cmargarine or butter
1 3/4 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1 tspvanilla extract
3-4 largeripe bananas (slightly over-ripe work best)
1 cwalnuts, coarsely chopped
12 ozcool whip whipped topping
2 Tbsppowdered sugar
·maraschino cherries, well drained
How to Make Delicious Holiday Cake
- Pour boiling water over chopped dates and let stand. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and margarine. Beat eggs until light and add to creamed mixture. Beat again.
- Mix in flour, soda and vanilla, then the date mixture.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- When cake is almost cool (still slightly warm), break into 1-inch chunks and put into a large bowl.
- Then add: 3-4 large, slightly over-ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and 1 cup chopped walnuts to cake chunks. Fold gently together.
- Rinse a bundt pan with cold water (do not dry) and pack the mixture lightly into it. Cover airtight with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours or overnight.
- When ready to frost, unmold cake on large plate. Set pan in warm water for a minute and it will unmold very easily. (Be careful not to get water in the bundt pan).
- Frost entire cake with Cool Whip which has been sweetened with 2 Tblsp. powdered sugar.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and holly leaves for Christmas. Refrigerate until ready to serve.