Dark chocolate fleur de sel cupcakes with snappy
immediately after they come out of the oven and serve warm with a scoop of butterscotch ice cream on the side.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- one large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- fleur de sel
- snappy butterscotch icing, recipe follows
How to Make Dark chocolate fleur de sel cupcakes with snappy
- 1preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- 2Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, Brown sugar, baking soda, and fine sea salt together into the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- 3In a small pan, heat the butter, oil, and water over medium low heat, stirring until the butter is completely melted and incorporated.
- 4Whisk the butter mixture into the dry ingredients on low speed until thoroughly mixed. Whisk in the egg, then whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- 5Fill the cupcake liners three quarters full with batter and sprinkle a tiny bit of Fleur de sel over the top of each. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes are set and spring back when you touch them and a cake tester comes out clean.
- 6Let cool for five minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Ice with snappy butterscotch icing. The cupcakes will keep covered, at room temperature, for two days.
- 7Snappy butterscotch icing:
1/2 cup packed light Brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
mix the sugar, cream, butter, water, and salt in a medium pan over medium low heat and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is completely dissolved, three to five minutes.
Turn heat down to low and let simmer for eight minutes without stirring, until the icing has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool completely so the icing will thicken enough to spread. Refrigerate or freeze for 30 minutes to speed thickening process if you like. The icing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.