Crunchy Apple & Blackberry Crumble
My friends and family have tried this recipe and love it!
- 2lb bramley or granny smith cooking apples
- 1lb blackberries
- 6oz brown sugar
- 2 lemons
- 8oz plain flour
- 6oz butter
- 2oz brown sugar
- 4oz muesli or a mixture of oats, seeds and chopped nuts
FOR THE FILLING:
FOR THE TOPPING
How to Make Crunchy Apple & Blackberry Crumble
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
2. Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice over the apple and mix well. This not only adds flavour but prevents the freshly peeled apples from discoloring.
3. Layer the apples, blackberries, and sugar in a large pie dish
4. Place the flour in a large bowl and then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs - leave a few lumps of butter so that the topping is not too fine. Add the muesli or oat/seed/nut mixture and the sugar and mix through.
5. Use a spoon to sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is cooked and bubbling juices seep through the topping.
6. Cool for a few minutes and then serve with custard or fresh cream.