Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes
1 tspapple cider vinegar
1 1/4 call purpose flour
2 Tbspcocoa powder, dutch or regular
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/3 ccanola oil
2 Tbspred food coloring
2 tsppure vanilla extract
1/4 tspalmond extract
1 tspchocolate extract
How to Make Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin/cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, and almond extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear. Do not over mix, otherwise your cupcakes will turn out gummy! Small lumps are okay.
- Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds of the way full as these cupcakes will rise fairly high. I recommend using non-stick metal pans as opposed to those silicon pans, so the cupcakes will rise properly and not come out lopsided.
- Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes until done. Don't open the oven until at least the 17-18 minute mark, or your cupcakes might fall! I learned the hard way. You can stick a toothpick into a cupcake to see if it's done. If you get tiny dry crumbs on it, it is ready! (I suggest eventually getting an oven thermometer so you know exactly how hot your oven is, because you don't want to over bake the cupcakes.)
Let sit on the counter for a few minutes in the pans and then transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool completely.
DO NOT ICE CUPCAKES UNTIL FULLY COOLED. I think we've all done that at least once, right? *wink
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup non hydrogenated margarine, softened (some aren't entirely vegan, so if that's a concern, make sure you check!)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (I use Tofutti, it's Better Than Cream Cheese!)
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (or as I used to say, Icing Sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a hand held mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Scrape down the sides in between too! Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla. Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
LASTLY! I used chopped pecans to sprinkle on top, giving it that classic Velvet Cupcake finishing touch.