Cranberry Cookie Strudel
I dedicate this to my good friend Carol!!
**Note: You can used whole canned cranberry sauce if you prefer.**
- 1 pkg
- (12 oz) fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c
- water and the zest of one lemon
- keebler sandies or any shortbread of choice
- 2 tsp
- grated orange zest
- 1/2 stick
- softened butter or margarine
- premade pie crusts
- 1/2 c
- decorative sugar crystals
- egg white
- 1 Tbsp
REST OF INGREDIENTS
How to Make Cranberry Cookie Strudel
- 1Make your cranberry sauce. In a pot add your cranberries, spices, zest and water. Let simmer for approximtely 30 minutes, till all the sugar has disolved, the cranberries are soft and most of them have popped. Turn off heat and cool.
- 2Meanwhile, as cranberry sauce is cooling, in a mini food chopper or food processor, add your cookies. Pulse till your cookies are fine crumbles.
Once cranberry sauce has cooled, it's time to prepare your strudel.
Cut a piece of wax/parchment paper and unroll your pie crust on the paper. Roll out the pie crust on the left and ride side, making almost like a rectangle, but not quite.
- 3Spread 1/4 c of butter over the pie crust, add your 1/4 of the cookie crumbs, add 1 tsp grated orange zest over the cookie crumbs. Add 1/2 your cranberry sauce. Sprinkle another 1/4 of the cookie crumbs over the cranberry sauce mixture.
- 4Working from the end closest to you, roll the pie crust jelly roll style away from you. Tuck your ends in as your rolling. When you finish, the seam should be on the top. Press the seam into the pie crust to ensure it doesn't separate upon breaking.
Beat the eggwhite w/ the water till frothy. Baste the egg white mixture over the strudel and sprinkle the decorater sugar all over the strudel.