Cranberry coffee cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, one stick
- 1 cup sugar
- two large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon grinder sea salt
- almond sugar glaze, recipe follows
How to Make Cranberry coffee cake
- 1preheat the oven to 350°. Butter an 8 inch tube pan.
in medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and fine sea salt.
- 2In a bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the almond extract.
- 3Add the dry ingredients in three increments alternately with the sour cream, starting and ending with the dry ingredients, beating after each addition until just mixed.
- 4Pour half the batter into the prepared to pan. Swirl half the cranberry sauce over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the cranberry sauce and then swirl the remaining cranberry sauce over the batter. Toss the chopped walnuts with the grinder sea salt and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- 5Bake for 55 minutes until Golden Brown on top. While cake is baking, make the glaze. Let the cake cool in the pan for five minutes, then remove it from the pan to a wire rack and cool for another 10 minutes. Transfer the cake to serving plate and drizzle the glaze all over the top. Serve warm or at room temperature. The cake will keep, covered, at room temperature for up to two days.
- 6Almond Glaze
1 C confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp lemon juice
Stir together sugar, almond extract and lemon juice. Add water as above until mixture is smooth.