Cranberry Cheesecake with Cranberry Orange Compote
1 lbcranberries, fresh or frozen about 4 2/3 cups
1/3 corange juice, fresh
2 lbcream cheese, room temperature
1 cvanilla wafer crumbs
3 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
2 csour cream
1 tspvanilla extract
3/4 ccranberry filling mix
2 tsporange peel, minced
How to Make Cranberry Cheesecake with Cranberry Orange Compote
- FOR CRANBERRY FILLING: Combine cranberries, sugar and fresh orange juice in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat and simmer until berries pop and mixture thickens, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes.
- Cool cranberry filling completely.
- FOR CHEESE FILLING: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Set cheese filling aside.
- FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides.
- Place cookie crumbs in medium bowl.
- Add melted butter and blend until moist crumbs form.
- Press onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- Pour cheese filling over crust in pan.
- Spoon 1 cup cranberry filling over cheese filling (reserve remaining cranberry filling for compote).
- Using a small sharp knife, swirl to form marble pattern.
- Bake until center of cheesecake is set, about 1 hour.
- Transfer cheesecake to rack and maintain oven temperature.
- PREPARE TOPPING: Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla in small bowl.
- Gently press down any raised edges of cheesecake.
- Spoon topping over cake.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Transfer cheesecake to rack and cool.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- (Cheesecake can be prepared 2 days in advance. Keep refrigerated)
- Release pan sides and transfer cheesecake to platter.
- Cut cheesecake into wedges and serve, passing compote separately.
- CRANBERRY ORANGE COMPOTE: Combine sugar and water in heavy small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves and liquid appears clear.
- Transfer to medium bowl and mix in 1 3/4 cups reserved cranberry filling and minced orange peel.
- Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from oranges.
- Working over another bowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release segments.
- Add segments to bowl with juices.
- (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover oranges and cranberry filling separately and refrigerate.)
- Add orange segments and juices to compote and serve.