Cranberry Blondie's from the Fat Witch Bakery
Cranberries bring to mind the winter holidays for many, but they make me think of Cape Cod,(my husband's birthplace) where you can find delicious sweets like cranberry fudge and cranberry ice cream all year round. Unlike costly dried cherries, dried cranberries are inexpensive and easy to find. They add a pleasingly tart and pleasing flavor to baked goods, especially when paired with orange as they are in these bars. Serve them on Thanksgiving. Source: the Fat Witch Bakery
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, 1 1/2 sticks
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- two large egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
How to Make Cranberry Blondie's from the Fat Witch Bakery
- 1grease a 9 x 9" baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and shake out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2Cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and mix until well combined.
Measure the flour and salt and then sift directly into the batter. Mix gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
- 3In a small bowl, stir together the cranberries, sugar, and orange zest with a fork. Add to the batter and mixing by hand with a wooden spoon
- 4Spread the batter evenly into prepared baking pan, using your hands to press down lightly in evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until Golden Brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for an hour. Cut just before serving. Makes 12 to 16 bars.