"CRADLE CAKE" for BABY JESUS BIRTHDAY
Nancy J. Patrykus
I found this in a Woman's Day magazine maybe 30 years ago.
It was a Silver Spoon Award Cake.
Wrapped in foil and refrigerated it will keep more than a week.
It was named CRADLE CAKE because of the crispy meringue "cradle" that surrounds this tender cake.
The recipe and picture is from Woman's Day Magazine.
Sorry, I do not have the name of the lady that won this award.
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- eggs, separated
- 1 c
- pecans or walnuts very finely chopped
- sq. (1 ounc) unsweetened chocolate grated
- 1/2 c
- butter softened
- 3/4 c
- squares (i oz. each) semisweet chocolate, melted with 3 table spoons ofwater. for garanish
- whole pecans or half walnut for garnish on top
- 2 c
- sugar, divided in half
- the sugar and flour amounts ..should have been in the ingredient beginning.
- 2 c
How to Make "CRADLE CAKE" for BABY JESUS BIRTHDAY
- 1Grease a 10 inch tube pan.
Line the bottom with waxed paper. Set aside.
Stir together flour, baking powder,and salt.
In a medium bowl beat egg whites till peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff, glossy and peaks form.
Fold in very finely chopped nuts, and grated chocolate.
- 2Spread this mixture on the bottom and up three quarters of pan as though lining it.
In a large bowl cream butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until well blended.
Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk until well blended.
- 3Pour cake mixture into pan, making sure it is surrounded by meringue on all sides and
lower than the top of meringue!
- 4Bake in a pre-heated 325 oven 65-75 minutes.
Or until a pick stuck in the middle comes out clean..Do not invert cooked cake pan.
Cool on a rack 25 minutes.
Or until sides of cake can be loosened easily, with a spatula.
Turn out on a serving plate.
Decorate cake like you see in the picture.
At my home we sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus...
A Merry Christmas to you and yours!..