Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle
·1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
·6 cups cold milk
·3 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
·teaspoon apple pie spice
·1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
·1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
·2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
·2 cartons (16 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed
How to Make Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
• In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
• Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture.
• Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
• Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 42 servings (3/4 cup each).