2 sticksoftened butter (not margarine)
1/2 cvegetable shortening
3 cgranulated sugar
3 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1 cbuttermilk (see note)
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Cold Oven Pound Cake
- Grease pan with Baker's Joy or Pam.
- Cream butter and shortening; add sugar; mix well. Add eggs one at a time very slowly, beating after each addition.
- Measure out flour. Then sift flour, salt and baking soda together.
Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with milk; add vanilla.
- Pour in greased tube or cake pan.
Place cake either in a cold oven or preheat to 325 degrees.
- Note: If you are using a tube pan, the cake will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake. Make sure you tent the cake with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking to prevent the top of the cake from getting too browned (burnt). A 11 x 15 inch cake will bake in about 50 minutes.
Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted and comes out clean.
This recipe will Yeild 9 cups of cake batter.
- Instead of liquid buttermilk, I use 4 tablespoons of buttermilk powder mixed in with the flour mixture. I then use one cup of water to mix alternately with the flour in step 3.