Coffee Cake Muffins
*To make a substitute for buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let stand for a few minutes; in this case, it was just half a cup, so I used half a tablespoon of lemon juice.
3 Tbspall-purpose flour
3 Tbspbrown sugar
1/4 tspground cinnamon
2 Tbspbutter or margarine
3 Tbspwalnuts or pecans, chopped (i used pecans)
1 1/2 call-purpose flour
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1 1/4 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/4 tspbaking soda
1/4 cbutter or margarine
1/2 cbuttermilk* (see my notes)
How to Make Coffee Cake Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside.
- For topping: In a small bowl, stir together the 3 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, and the 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in nuts; set topping aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt; cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, combine egg and buttermilk; Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one-third full.
- Top with half of the topping, the remaining batter, and the remaining topping.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.