Christmas Tree Coffee Cake1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1cake compressed yeast; or
1 pkgdry yeast
3/4 cmilk, scalded
3 csifted all purpose flour
2eggs, beaten (plus more as necessary)
1 coatmeal, uncooked
1/2 cdiced mixed candied fruit
How to Make Christmas Tree Coffee Cake
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water. (Use warm water for dry yeast.)
- Pour scalded milk over sugar, salt and butter.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 1 cup flour and eggs.
- Add softened yeast and oats.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and candied fruits; stir to coat fruits evenly with flour.
- Add to dough; mix well.
- Stir in enough more flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board or canvas; knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
- Round dough into ball; place in greased bowl; brush lightly with melted shortening.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- From one half, pinch off 17 pieces of dough; shape to form balls.
- Arrange balls in the shape of a Christmas tree on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush lightly with melted butter.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until nearly double in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.
- Decorate with confectioners' sugar frosting and candied citron.