Chocolate Mint Cake
1 boxdevil's food chocolate cake mix
2 pkgnestle mint and dark chocolate chips
1/3 ccanola oil
1 stickbutter, softened
3 cpowdered sugar
1/2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Mint Cake
- Preheat oven according to cake mix directions. Grease and flour a 13x9x2 pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed. Add one bag of Mint and Dark Chocolate chips to the cake batter. Stir to blend.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake as directed on the box.
Remove pan from oven, let cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Open the second bag of chips. Sort by flavor into two small bowls. You should have one bowl of chocolate chips and one bowl of mint chips. Set the mint chips aside, you'll use them for topping the cake.
- Melt 2 TBS. of butter. Add the melted butter to the chocolate chips. Stir until the chips are melted and glossy. You might need to warm the chips slightly to completely melt them. (I microwaved them for 30 seconds.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 Tbs. milk. Stir in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth. (If the frosting is too thick add an additional 1 Tbs. milk.)
- When the cake is cooled, spread the chocolate frosting on top. Sprinkle with the mint chips.
- Notes: If you frost the cake while it is somewhat warm, (approx. 30 min. cooling time.) the mint chips will soften slightly from the heat of the cake.
The chips in the batter melt completely into the cake, saturating the cake with flavor.
I didn't try melting the mint chips. It may be possible to do that and create a fancy design on top of the cake.
I also thought about making a 2 layer cake and using the mint chips to flavor the filling between the layers. Maybe I'll try that next time. Enjoy!