CHOCOLATE HARVEST CAKE
You can top the cake with your favorite fruits/nuts. It's more to accent the center of the cake than cover the top. I topped the ones I've made with red and white grapes (no stems), toasted whole hazelnuts and orange peel.
- 1 c
- 1 c
- 2/3 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 c
- granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c
- canned pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- whipping cream
- 4 oz
- semisweet chocolate, chopped
How to Make CHOCOLATE HARVEST CAKE
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 2 9" round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2FOR THE CAKE:
Sift all purpose flour and cocoa in a small bowl and set aside.
NOTE: You'll notice that the cake is not prepared in a mixer. I was going to use mine but it wasn't large enough to accommodate the mixture without splattering batter everywhere. I followed these instructions.
In an extra-large bowl, combine buttermilk, water, oil, 2 cups sugar, eggs, baking soda and salt. Using a large wire whisk, whisk until combined. Add flour-cocoa mixture and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- 3Divide batter between pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until tops springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4FOR THE CREAM FILLING:
In a mixer with a whisk, whisk together cream cheese, pumpkin, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon until thick.
- 5Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread all the filling over the top. Top with the second layer.
- 6FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
In a sauce pan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add semisweet chocolate (DO NOT STIR). Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Chill cake until set, about 30 minutes. Top with desired toppers or serve as is.