CHOCOLATE FLAN W/DULCE DE LECHE
Jo Anne Sugimoto
It's not my photo, but it's beautiful!
- 1 c
- 3/4 c
- 1.5 oz. each bars of godiva dark chocolate,
- coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 c
- eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 c
- 1 Tbsp
- godiva chocolate liqueur
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 2 teasponns of hot water
- 2 c
- 1/2 c
- 1/8 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 c
- heavy cream
CARAMEL FOR THE FLAN:
DULCE DE LECHE:
How to Make CHOCOLATE FLAN W/DULCE DE LECHE
- 1MAKE THE CARAMEL:
- 2Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- 3Arrange 6 ramekins in a roasting pan or a large baking dish.
- 4In a small saucepan, mix sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring and increase heat to high and cook until mixture caramelizes and turns to a light amber color.
- 5Remove pan from heat, gradually and very carefully add remaining water. Stir to blend.
- 6Carefully pour hot caramel evenly into all of the ramekins. Set aside.
- 7MAKE CHOCOLATE FLAN:
- 8Place chocolate in a large bowl and set aside.
- 9Heat the milk in a large saucepan until small bubbles begin to form around the edge but not boiling.
- 10Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate, let stand for 1 minute then whisk until melted and smooth.
- 11In another large bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until blended, gradually whisk in the chocolate mixture, liqueur, vanilla extract and espresso mixture.
- 12Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and divide evenly into the 6 ramekins.
- 13Pour hot water into the roasting pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- 14Bake the flan in a water bath for 35 minutes or until the center is just set.
- 15Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 16Chill until ready to serve.
- 17MAKE DULCE DE LECHE CREAM:
- 18In a medium saucepan, heat milk to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add sugar and baking soda.
- 19Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until milk becomes thick and resembles a light caramel sauce.
- 20Gently fold milk mixture into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 21TO SET UP:
- 22Run a paring knife around the inner edge of the flan to loosen. Dip the bottom of the ramekin in very hot water for about 15 seconds.
- 23Invert onto a dessert plate, letting the caramel drip over the top of the flan. Serve each flan with a dollop of Dulce De Leche cream on top.