CHOCOLATE FLAN W/DULCE DE LECHE
Jo Anne Sugimoto
It's not my photo, but it's beautiful!
CARAMEL FOR THE FLAN:
51.5 oz. each bars of godiva dark chocolate,
2 1/2 cmilk
5eggs, room temperature
1 Tbspgodiva chocolate liqueur
1 tspvanilla extract
2 tspinstant espresso powder, dissolved in
·2 teasponns of hot water
DULCE DE LECHE:
1/8 tspbaking soda
1 cheavy cream
How to Make CHOCOLATE FLAN W/DULCE DE LECHE
- MAKE THE CARAMEL:
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Arrange 6 ramekins in a roasting pan or a large baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring and increase heat to high and cook until mixture caramelizes and turns to a light amber color.
- Remove pan from heat, gradually and very carefully add remaining water. Stir to blend.
- Carefully pour hot caramel evenly into all of the ramekins. Set aside.
- MAKE CHOCOLATE FLAN:
- Place chocolate in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the milk in a large saucepan until small bubbles begin to form around the edge but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate, let stand for 1 minute then whisk until melted and smooth.
- In another large bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until blended, gradually whisk in the chocolate mixture, liqueur, vanilla extract and espresso mixture.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and divide evenly into the 6 ramekins.
- Pour hot water into the roasting pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the flan in a water bath for 35 minutes or until the center is just set.
- Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- MAKE DULCE DE LECHE CREAM:
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add sugar and baking soda.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until milk becomes thick and resembles a light caramel sauce.
- Gently fold milk mixture into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- TO SET UP:
- Run a paring knife around the inner edge of the flan to loosen. Dip the bottom of the ramekin in very hot water for about 15 seconds.
- Invert onto a dessert plate, letting the caramel drip over the top of the flan. Serve each flan with a dollop of Dulce De Leche cream on top.