Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
1/2 cbutter, unsalted, softened
1 1/2 csugar
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 csour cream
1 tspcherry extract
1 bottle(10 oz) maraschino cherries, remove the juice and cut the cherries into eigths
2 Tbspflour for sprinkling over diced cherries
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
1 pkg(12 oz) mini sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cwhipping cream
6 Tbspbutter, unsalted, softened
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line the bottom of three 6 inch cake pans or two 8 inch with wax paper. Grease the sides.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Beat in the egg whites. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine the sour cream, cherry extract and reserved maraschino cherry juice.
- Alternate adding the dry and wet mixtures to the butter, sugar and eggs until combined.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour over the diced cherries and stir until the flour has been completely absorbed. Stir in the cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Microwave chocolate chips and whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl on medium power, 2 1/2-3 minutes, or until chocolate begins to melt.
- Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Whisk in the butter, let stand 20 minutes.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 3-4 minutes or until ganache forms soft peaks. Spread on cooled cake.