Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Jordan Michelle Falco
These recipes are copied directly from the notes of my Basic Cakes class. I’m posting them here on Just a Pinch for my own posterity. Feel free to round the fractional measurements up or down (5/8 is just as good as 1/2)
This cake is perfect for Black Forrest Cake
2 1/2 ozsemi-sweet chocolate
2 ozegg yolks
1 1/2 ozcanola oil
1/2 tspvanilla extract
3 ozcake flour, sifted
1/8 ozbaking powder
1/8 tspbaking soda
3 1/2 ozgranulated sugar #1
3 1/4 ozegg whites
1 3/4 ozgranulated sugar #2
1/3 tspcream of tartar
How to Make Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- pour boiling water over the chopped chocolate and allow to stand for 1 minute; form an emulsion using a whisk.
- Combine and sift togeather the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and first sugar.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the liquid ingredients into the chocolate emulsion; add the dry ingredients slowly to make a smooth batter.
- Whip the egg whites, second sugar, and cream of tartar to medium peaks.
- Fold the meringue into the batter in three stages until there are no streaks.
- Deposit into ungrased, papered pans at 19.5 oz and bak at 335F in a convection oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Invert when cooling and remove the cakes when cool.
- To make a black forrest cake, cut 3 layers out of the chocolate chiffon cake. Brush the cake layers with Kirsch. Spread a layer of whipped cream on the bottom layer, and sprinkle with chopped cherries. Continue this laryering. Cover the cake with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and whipped cream rosettes. Top the rosettes with cherries.