You can use all unsweetened chocolate but I like the combination of the 2 chocolates - it seems to make it richer. German chocolate can be used for the semi-sweet.
Also, if you don't want to sift together the dry ingredients, simply whisk the dry ingredients for about 10 seconds before adding the wet ingredients.
- 2 oz
- unsweetened chocolate
- 2 oz
- semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 c
- sifted all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 2 c
- 3/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- hot coffee, very strong
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
How to Make Chocolate Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 345 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 - 8" cake pans with butter, line bottom with parchment rounds and grease parchment. (The parchment is not necessary but it makes it a whole lot easier when it's time to depan!)
- 2Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Cool slightly.
- 3Sift together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl.
- 4In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, vegetable oil and hot coffee until blended.
- 5Using the paddle attachment on low, slowly pour the coffee mixture into the dry ingredients, about 30 seconds. Turn off mixer and scrape bowl. Beat for another 30 seconds.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, beating for about 20 seconds after each egg, scraping bowl after each as well.
- 7Add chocolate and mix until blended, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl.
- 8Divide batter evenly between the 2 pans and place on center rack in oven. Bake for approximately 35, or until the center of the cake springs back to touch. (If doubling and using 10" pans, the baking time will be approximately 45 minutes, but check it every 5 minutes after 35 minutes.
- 9Allow layers to cool in pans, about 15 minutes.