Chocolate Banana Bread
This bread comes out as almost a fudgy chocolate cake. My kids and husband prefer this to 'regular' banana bread, hands down. It keeps well, but I always make 2 loaves because the first one is gone the same day I bake it. If you only want one loaf, just halve the recipe.
- 2 c
- flour, all-purpose or whole wheat
- 1 1/2 c
- cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- bananas, over-ripe
- 2 c
- 1/2 lb
- unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (2 sticks)
- 4 large
- 4 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 2Grease 2 standard loaf pans.
- 3Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl until mixed well. Set aside.
- 4Put bananas and sugar ina bowl and mash with a potato masher until they are completely mixed and there are no large chunks of bananas left. Whip with a mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add butter, eggs, and vanilla to banana mixture and mix well.
- 6Add the flour and cocoa mixture, a little at a time (to prevent a big poof of flour all over you!), and mix until well combined. Add nuts if desired, and mix. Mixture will be very very thick.
- 7Divide mixture between the two prepared loaf pans and bake for 1 hour, until center is firm and a toothpick inserted comes out with only a little crumb on it.