Chocolate Angel Food Cake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cegg whites (about 10)
3/4 ccake flour
1 1/2 cplus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 cbaking cocoa
1 1/2 tspcream of tartar
1 1/2 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- •Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift the flour, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and cocoa three times. Set aside.
• Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Mixture will be thick.
• Gently spoon into an un-greased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
• Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- CHOCOLATE FLUFF FROSTING:
•2 cups heavy whipping cream
•1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
•1/2 cup baking cocoa
For frosting, In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, cocoa and salt; beat until stiff peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake.