Chianti Chocolate Cake
1/2 cchianti (or a good red) wine
4cloves soaked in the wine for half an hour
1/2 cvery soft butter
1 tspvanilla extract
2 Tbspunsweetened cocoa
2 and 1/2 ozfinely chopped dark chocolate
1 and 1/4 csifted all purpose or cake flour
2 tspbaking powder
1 cwhipped cream or topping
1/2 cpowdered sugar
1 ccherries in syrup
How to Make Chianti Chocolate Cake
- Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Without changing beaters, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the yolks one at a time until creamy and light.
- Beat in the cinnamon and cocoa.
- Mix in the wine (with the cloves strained out and discarded)
- Gradually add the flour sifted with the baking powder and mix in by hand until smooth. (or low speed with mixer)
- Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites, 1/3 at a time.
- Very gently fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour into a buttered and parchment lined 8 inch round cake pan. (best with removable sides). Level top.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
Top should be firm and toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a cooling rack. (gently peel off the wax paper)
- When cold, sift powdered sugar over the top and serve with the whipping cream. Top with the cherries in syrup if desired.