CHERRY PIE CAKE WITH ALMOND SCENTED MERINGUE
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1 can(s)
- cherry pie filling
- 1 box
- cake mix (i used cherry chip, but yellow or white is good too)
- 1/2 c
- cooking oil
- extra large eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- almond extract
How to Make CHERRY PIE CAKE WITH ALMOND SCENTED MERINGUE
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Butter an 8 inch springform pan.
Pour the cherry pie filling into the pan.
Mix together the cake mix of choice with the cooking oil, 3/4 cup water and the egg yolks and beat for two minutes. Pour the cake batter over the cherries and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool.
- 2Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Invert the cake onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and remove the springform pan.
- 3Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually whip in the sugar and continue to whip until they form stiff peaks. Whip in the almond extract and then top the cake with the meringue and bake it for about 10-12 minutes or until the meringue just starts to brown.