- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of 17.25 oz pkg)
- 1 pkg. cream cheese, softened, 3 oz
- 1/3 cup plus 2 t. powdered sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 t. almond extract
- 1 t. water
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided
How to Make Cherry and Almond Coffee Cake
- 1Thaw pastry sheet as pkg. directs. Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2Mix cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, egg yolk, and almond extract in large bowl. Beat with mixer at medium speed until smooth; set aside.
- 3In another small bowl, beat egg white and water; set aside. On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 14 x 10 inch rectangle. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle evenly with cherries.
- 4Reserve 2 T. almonds; sprinkle remaining almonds over cherries. Starting with long side, loosely roll up dough jelly roll style. Place roll on baking sheet, seam side down.
- 5Form into circle, pinching ends together. Using scissors, cut at 1 inch intervals from outside of ring toward but not through center. Twist each section half a turn, allowing filling to show. Brush top of ring with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with reserved almonds.
- 6Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Using large spatula, carefully remove ring to wire rack. Cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 T. powdered sugar. Makes 1 coffee cake