Cheesecake and Brownie Pie
·4 eggs, separated, plus 1 whole beaten egg
·1/2 cup sugar
·1 pkg. cream cheese, 8 oz
·1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
·1 tbsp. cornstarch
·perfect pie dough, recipe follows
·1 cup store bought brownies, cut into cubes
·one standard 9 inch pie plate
·pie weights or dried beans
How to Make Cheesecake and Brownie Pie
- Preheat oven to 375. Using a stand or hand mixer, whisk egg whites on high speed and gradually add sugar til whites are stiff but not dry.
- In another bowl, mix together egg yolks, cream cheese, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Gently fold egg whites and cheese mixture using rubber spatula til mixture is smooth. Keep mixture refrigerated til ready to use.
Working on well floured surface, roll out dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
- Carefully put sheet of dough into pie plate, using your fingers to gently press dough into bottom and up sides. Trim excess edges of dough. roll into ball, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for future use.
- Cover pie plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Put a 12 inch circle of parchment paper over dough. Weight down with pie weight or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pie weight or beans and parchment paper, brush dough with beaten egg and bake for another 3 minutes. Remove plate form oven and place on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350. Remove cream cheese and egg mixture from refrigerator and pour mixture into crust. Sprinkle on brownie cubes evenly.
- bake for 40 minutes Transfer pie to wire rack and allow it to cool completely, about one hour. Serve or refrigerate in sealed container for up to two days. serves 8
- Perfect Pie Dough:
2 sticks very cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes (8 oz)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 T. cold water
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups flour
Put butter and powdered sugar in food processor fitted with metal blade. On pulse setting, mix for two minutes. Add egg, water, and salt and pulse for another two minutes, until mixture is smooth. Add flour gradually. Pulse for another minute, until mixture forms dough. Remove ball of dough from food processor, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before use. Well wrapped, this dough can be stored in freezer for up to two months and thawed in refrigerator.
This is a great dough for any pie. It is especially important not to overwork the dough while preparing it. Make sure that all your ingredients are cold and turn off the food processor after each step.