Carrot Caramel Gooey Bars
FOR THE CAKE
1 boxcarrot cake mix
1 cevaporated milk
1/2 cbutter, melted
1 1/2 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE FILLING
11 ozcaramels (any flavor)
1/3 cevaporated milk
How to Make Carrot Caramel Gooey Bars
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment and use a nonstick cooking spray to stop it from sticking to the parchment when done.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup of evaporated milk and 1/2 cup of melted butter until smooth. No need to use a mixer just use a wooden spoon.
- Mix until well combined and the batter will be thick.
- Spread HALF of the batter into the baking pan and reserve the remaining half until a bit later.
- Put bottom of the bars into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- While this is baking, go ahead and start making the caramel filling.
- In a small/medium sauce pan and over medium heat, combine the caramels and 1/3 cup of evaporated milk.
- Stir frequently until all the caramels are melted and it is smooth and there are no chunks of caramel left.
- When the bar bottom is finished baking (it won't be fully cooked so don't worry), take it out of the oven and sprinkle the 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips over it. (do not spread)
- Drizzle the prepared caramel sauce you just made over top.
- Take the rest of the cake batter and drop by teaspoonfuls onto the caramel/chocolate layer.
- Bake for an additional 25 - 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest until a bit cooler before cutting. This allows the caramel/chocolate sauce to set.