2 cunbleached all-purpose flour
2 tspbaking soda
2 tspbaking powder
2 tspground cinnamon
3/4 cvegetable oil
2/3 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 corange marmalade
1/2 corange juice
3 clightly packed grated peeled carrots
3/4 cchopped toasted walnuts
48 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 cconfectioners' sugar
1/4 corange marmalade
6 Tbspunsalted butter at room temperature
2 tsporange peel, grated
1/4 cfinely chopped toasted walnuts
How to Make Carrot Cake with Marmalade Cream Cheese Frosting
- For cake preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, sugars, marmalade and juice in large bowl until blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in carrots and nuts.
- Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake until tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to racks; cool 15 minutes.
- Turn out cakes onto racks; cool completely.
- For frosting, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- Add 3/4 cup marmalade, butter and orange peel and beat just until smooth.
- If necessary, cover and chill until firm enough to spread.
- Place 1 cake on plate.
- Spread with 1/4 cup marmalade.
- Spread 1 cup frosting over.
- Top with second cake.
- Spoon 2 cups frosting into pastry bag fitted with large star tip.
- Spread remaining frosting smoothly over top and sides of cake.
- Pipe frosting in 4 parallel lines atop cake in opposite direction, forming lattice.
- Press 1 cup nuts onto sides of cake. Pipe ring of frosting around top edge of cake.
- Stir 1/4 cup marmalade to loosen; spoon some into 1 row of lattice diamonds.
- Spoon some remaining nuts into next row of diamonds.
- Repeat, alternating marmalade and nuts, filling rows completely. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill.)