2 cbutter, softened, divided
1 2/3 csugar
3eggs, room temperature
1/2 csour cream, room temperature
2 tsppure vanilla extract
3 ccake flour, sifted
2 1/4 tspbaking powder
1 1/3 cwhole milk, room temperature
3 cbrown sugar
1 1/4 cevaporated milk
How to Make Caramel Cake
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and 1 cup butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat on low until just combined after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly into three standard greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans or two deep 9 inch round cake pans(2 inches deep or more).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Frosting: In a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1 cup of butter, brown sugar, evaporated milk, and salt. Mix well.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until mixture reaches 235 degrees.
- Cool slightly and beat with hand mixer until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Frosting will continue to thicken as it cools. If frosting becomes too thick, add a little milk. If frosting is too thin, continue beating.
- Quickly spread between layers and on top and sides. Serve at room temperature.