★★★★★ 7 votes5
1/3 cevaporated milk
8 ozsweet german chocolate
1 call purpose flour, sifted
1 tspbaking powder
2 tspvanilla extract
6 ozchocolate chips
How to Make Caramel Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350; grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Combine caramels and evaporated milk in top of double boiler over low heat. Cover and simmer until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally; set aside, keeping warm.
- Combine German sweet chocolate and butter in 2 quart saucepan; place over low heat stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Beat eggs until foamy using electric mixer at high speed.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture mixing well.
- Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Spread half of mixture into prepared baking pan; bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread caramel mixture carefully over baked layer; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Spread batter by spoonfuls over the caramel layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes then cool in pan on rack.
- Refrigerate before cutting into bars or squares. (These brownies are very difficult to cut if not chilled first.)