- 14 oz
- 1/3 c
- evaporated milk
- 8 oz
- sweet german chocolate
- 6 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 1 c
- all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 6 oz
- chocolate chips
How to Make Caramel Brownies
- 1Preheat oven to 350; grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- 2Combine caramels and evaporated milk in top of double boiler over low heat. Cover and simmer until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally; set aside, keeping warm.
- 3Combine German sweet chocolate and butter in 2 quart saucepan; place over low heat stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- 4Beat eggs until foamy using electric mixer at high speed.
- 5Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- 6Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture mixing well.
- 7Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- 8Spread half of mixture into prepared baking pan; bake for 6 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and spread caramel mixture carefully over baked layer; sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- 10Spread batter by spoonfuls over the caramel layer.
- 11Bake for 20 minutes then cool in pan on rack.
- 12Refrigerate before cutting into bars or squares. (These brownies are very difficult to cut if not chilled first.)