- vegetable oil
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- two eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- chocolate glaze or browned butter glaze, recipe follows
How to Make Cake doughnuts
- 1heat oil, 2 to 3 inches, in deep fat fryer or heavy kettle to 375°. Beat 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the remaining ingredients except glaze in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, two minutes. Stir in remaining flour.
- 2Turn half of the dough onto well floured cloth covered board; roll around lightly to coat with flour. Roll gently 3/8 inch thick. Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3Slide donuts into hot oil with wide spatula. Turn doughnuts as they rise to surface. Fry until Golden Brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from oil; do not prick doughnuts. Drain on paper towels. Spread doughnuts with chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with flaked coconut, chopped nuts or decors if desired. Makes two dozen doughnuts.
- 4Note: if using self rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
makes 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate, cool, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in about 1/4 cup milk until smooth and of desired consistency.
Browned butter glaze:
heat 1/4 cup margarine or butter over low heat until delicate Brown; remove from heat. Mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 to 3 tablespoons milk until smooth and of desired consistency.
decrease sugar to 3/4 cup and add 1 cup applesauce. Omit cinnamon and milk. Increase nutmeg to 3/4 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Cover and refrigerate dough until stiff, about one hour. Continue as directed. Spread doughnuts with browned butter glaze.