★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cunsalted butter,softened
1/2 cbutter flavored shortening
3 cgranulated sugar
1 tsppure vanilla extract
1/2 tsppure almond extract(optional)
5large or extra large eggs
3 call purpose flour
1 Tbspboiling water
1/2 tspbaking soda
How to Make Buttermilk Poundcake
- preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan and then line the bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper that has also been greased and floured.
- Cream butter,shortening,sugar and extract until fluffy(about 5 minute with a stand mixer). Bring eggs to room temperature by placing them in a bowl or warm water for a about two minutes. Add eggs to the creamed mixture one at a time.
- Sift flour with salt. Add to the mixture alternately with the buttermilk,beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add baking soda to the boiling water and add last.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hr 15 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center no longer has crumbs on it. Cool for about 10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before wrapping and storing.
- Cake can also be made in two 8x8 pans and cut in cubes to put on skewers with strawberries or for chocolate fondue..