Buttermilk Pound Cake
How to Make Buttermilk Pound Cake
- ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE! Sometimes I cheat a bit and put the butter in the microwave for a few seconds and the eggs in a bowl of warm water if I'm in a hurry to start.
- Thoroughly cream butter and Crisco.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Put soda into buttermilk; then alternate adding flour and buttermilk/soda. Start and end with flour.
- Add almond extract.
- Place in a COLD oven set to 325. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes in a well-greased and floured tube pan.
- If you're curious about what's happening in the oven during baking, curb your curiosity and don't peek until after 1 hour. I don't know why. That's just what Mrs. Higgy told me, and she was the boss!