Buttercream Icing-2 ways
Recipe from Williams-Sonoma Guide to good Cooking 1996 and the other is from my catalog of recipes in box on a shelf.
- 2/3 c
- granulated sugar
- 4 large
- egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING WILLIAMS-SONOMA
How to Make Buttercream Icing-2 ways
- 1Williams-Sonoma Frosting:
In a metal bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks and water. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. So not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 170^ on a candy thermometer, about 4 minutes.
- 2Remove bowl from over the water. Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the egg mixture until cool and thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the butter, about 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. If the buttercream appears broken or lumpy, set bowl back over simmering water for a few seconds, then beat again until smooth.
- 3To store, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Before using, let stand at room temperature until soft enough to use.Rewarm as above if necessary.
- 4Mine from a Box:
1 c. solid Crisco shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter extract
3 Tablespoons powdered coffee creamer
1/4 c. warm water, plus more if needed
4 cups powdered sugar
- 5Cream shortening in the bowl of mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and butter extracts. Add powdered creamer to the water and mix until dissolved and add to the shortening mixture and mix on low until the water is incorporated into the shortening.
Slowly add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time,mixing on low speed.
You may need a little more water depending on consistency of icing you want.
This does not need to be refrigerated.
- 6For both icings:
For coconut flavor:
omit 1 Tablespoon of water and whisk in 3 Tablespoons canned sweetened cream of coconut and 1 teaspoon coconut extract and 1/2 cup of toasted shredded coconut.
- 7For coffee flavor:
Stir in 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
For Orange flavor:
Add 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest and 1 teaspoon orange extract