Burnt Sugar Cake
Be careful not to scorch the sugar or over boil it. I only boil it to soft ball stage~ where a drop will form a soft ball when placed in a cool glass of water.
Please note this was an old "Victorian Recipe", so it has been changed just a little.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/4 csugar
2 tspbaking powder
1 3/4 ccake flour
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 tsporange flavoring, optional
How to Make Burnt Sugar Cake
- In a small cast iron skillet carmalize 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup water and dissolve. Let boil until syrup is reduced to 1/4 cup. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl cream 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, Beat thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl, sift salt, baking powder, and flour. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine milk, carmalized sugar and flavorings. Add alternately with dry igredients into large bowl with creamed sugar,butter and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, fold into cake batter. Pour into cake pans. Bake for 20-30 min until done.
- Frost with white icing(Mixture of Butter,powdered sugar, vanilla and hot water) Drizzle burnt sugar over it.