9 largeeggs, separated, room temperature
1 Tbspdark rum
1/4 tspvanilla extract
1/4 tspcream of tartar
12 ozsemisweet chocolate
6 Tbspunsalted butter, melted
2 Tbspcocoa, unsweetened
1/2 ozamaretti (about 10 Italian macaroons, finely ground)
4 ozsemisweet chocolate, melted
1/2 chot water
2 cwhipping cream
2 Tbspdark rum
3 ozsemi-sweet chocolate, melted
3 ozwhite chocolate, melted
·unsweetened chocolate leaves
How to Make Bruno's Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat yolks until they are pale yellow and form a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in rum and vanilla.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and continue beating until stiff and shiny.
- Stir 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate and butter into yolks until well combined.
- Gently fold in 1/4 of egg whites to lighten the batter, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Sift together cornstarch and cocoa; combine with ground amaretti.
- Gently fold into the batter.
- Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until centers of cakes rise and tops begin to crack, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, then cool completely on wire rack (cakes will fall slightly.)
- For Chocolate Cream: Whisk together 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate and hot water; cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream until nearly stiff.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture and rum into whipped cream.
- To Assemble: set aside 1/4 of the chocolate cream for decorating the top of the cake.
- Spread remainder evenly between the 3 layers, stacking them neatly, then spread over the reserved cream over the top and sides.
- Measure height of the cake.
- On a sheet of parchment or waxed paper, spread 3 ounces melted semisweet chocolate into rectangle 1/16 inch thick and as wide as the cake is high.
- Repeat with melted white chocolate on another sheet of parchment.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is firm but not brittle, about 15 minutes.
- Cut chocolate crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips.
- Refrigerate to refirm chocolate, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully arrange strips alternately around edges of cake, gently pressing into icing.
- Spoon reserved chocolate cream into pastry bag fitted with a number 3 round tip.
- Pipe mixture into straight lines atop the cake.
- Dust lightly with cocoa; refrigerate.
- Garnish with chocolate leaves. (For chocolate leaves, brush melted chocolate on undersides of holly or lemon leaves; refrigerate until firm, carefully peel off leaves.)
- Bring to room temperature before serving.