Brown butter banana cake with chocolate chips
- 1/2 pound, unsalted butter, more for the pan,1 cup,
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- three large eggs
- 1 cup finely mashed ripe bananas, two medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 7 1/2 ounces or 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Brown butter banana cake with chocolate chips
- 1position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10 cup Decorative tube or Bundt pan. Tap out any excess flour.
- 2Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium low heat. Once the butter is melted, cook slowly, letting it bubble, until it smells nutty or like butterscotch and turns a deep Golden hue, 5 to 10 minutes. If the butter splatters, reduce the heat to low. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the browned butter through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and discard the bits in a sieve. Let the butter cool until it's very warm rather than boiling hot, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Using a whisk, stir the sugar and eggs into the butter. Since the butter is quite warm, you can use cold eggs for this. Whisk until the mixture is smooth, the sugar may still be somewhat grainy, 30 to 60 seconds. Whisk in the mashed bananas, vanilla, and salt .sift the flour and baking soda directly onto the batter. Pour the chocolate chips over the flour. Using a rubber spatula, stir just until the batter is uniformly combine. Don't over mix. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly with a rubber spatula.
- 4Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it, 42 to 45 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and remove the pan. Let cool until just warm and then serve at once or wrap well in plastic and store at room temperature for up to five days. Makes one Bundt cake, or serves 12.