Brooklyn/New York - Crumble Coffee Cake
This cake part is from the recipe for Favorite Coffee Cake. (Favorite Coffee Cake).
The Topping Part is from a recipe for Crumb Cake by David Lebovitz. (davidlebovitz.com/coffee-crumb-cake-...).
Do try this recipe for Brooklyn/New York Crumble Cake. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 c
- 2/3 c
- packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- ground cinnamon (topping recipe called for 1 tbs cinnamon-i used 1 tsp cinnamon, i plan to try 2 tsp cinnamon next time)
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- melted unsalted butter (1 stick butter- 8 oz.)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c
- 3/4 c
- white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 c
- shortening (such as crisco)
- 3/4 c
GREASE LAYER PAN: 8X8X2 OR 9X9X2 INCHES OR ROUND 9X1.5 INCHES.
COFFEE CAKE INGREDIENTS
How to Make Brooklyn/New York - Crumble Coffee Cake
- 1Prepare Topping: Mix together 1 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon & salt in a small bowl. Stir in the melted butter & vanilla until the mixture is well combined and crumbly. Set aside.
Note-I used salted butter, so I skipped the added salt in the topping.
- 2Heat Oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3Grease square 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Also, can use a 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan or a round layer pan 9 x 1 1/2 inches.
- 4In a bowl mix the flour and baking powder. Whisk.
- 5In another bowl, beat the shortening & sugar. Add egg and beat. Add milk and beat until well combined.
- 6Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat vigorously for 1/2 minute. Spread in greased pan.
- 7Sprinkle the topping evenly over batter.
- 8Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool. Can sprinkle with powdered sugar after cake is cooled.