Bonnie Butter Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting
This cake is frosted with an Italian Meringue Butter Cream that I found at www.cakejournal.com . This is Jim's favorite frosting!
2/3 cbutter, room temperature
1 3/4 csugar
1 1/2 tspvanilla extract
2 3/4 cflour
2 1/2 tspbaking powder
1 1/4 cmilk
·italian meringue buttercream frosting ***(this will frost a 13x9 inch cake or two layer 8 inch cake. double for larger cake.)
1/4 ccold water
1 cplus, 2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cegg whites
3 stickbutter, room temperature
1 tspwhite vanilla extract
How to Make Bonnie Butter Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease & flour a pan; 13x9x2 or two 9 inch round or three 8 inch round layer pans.
- In large mixer bowl beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Beat 5 minutes on high speed scraping bowl occasionally.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- On low speed mix in flour alternatively with milk. Do not over beat.
- Bake oblong pan 45 minutes, layer pans 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
***Note*** I have chosen to make three 8 inch layers.
- Make Italian Merguine Buttercream Frosting. You will need to use your stand mixer.
***Note*** I have cut the original recipe in half for my cake. Half the recipe will frost the cake easily. If your decorating a cake then double this recipe.
- In the large bowl of your stand mixer with the wire wisk attachment add the egg whites. Beat for two minutes.
- In a sauce pan bring water and sugar to a boil. Boil for seven minutes. This is your syrup.
- Slowly add the syrup to the egg whites with the mixer going on high. Continue to beat for 10 minutes.
- Remove your wire whisk attachment and add your paddle attachment. With mixer on high speed adding the butter a few chunks at a time until all butter is added. Stop the mixer and scrap bowl twice.
- Add vanilla. Beat again.
- Use 1/2 cup of frosting and add 2 tablespoons of raspberry seedless jam. I also added a tablespoon of Chambord!
Using 1/2 cup of the frosting add 2 ounces of melted sweet chocolate. Make sure the chocolate is cooled down before adding to the frosting. Beat.
- Cut one cake in half to make two layers. Spread the raspberry frosting on one cake and place the other half back on top.
Do the same with the chocolate.
- Now we have two cakes each with a filling. Place a cake on your favorite cake plate.
- Use 1/2 cup of the frosting spread this on the cake. Place the other cake on top of this cake.
- Gently frost the rest of your cake with the remainder of the frosting.
- NOTE: Double the frosting recipe if you making a layer cake.