Blueberry Lemon Upside Down Cake
Its hard to stop at just one slice of this cake. I get asked to bring it to church dinners all the time.
- 1 c
- cake flour
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/4 tsp
- (scant) baking powder
- 1/2 c
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 c
- butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 c
- 1 large
- egg white
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 c
- fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- a little powdered sugar for topping baked cake
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Upside Down Cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch round cake pan, place a circle of parchment paper over the bottom of the pan, then lightly grease the parchment paper.
- 2In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. Stir the lemon zest into the buttermilk. Set aside.
In a mixer bowl beat the butter and sugar on medium speed about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg white and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute.
Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the batter and beat on medium speed until just incorporated.
Add about half of the buttermilk and beat on medium speed until just incorporated. Continue adding dry and wet ingredients alternately, scraping the bowl down and beating until incorporated after each addition.
End with the dry ingredients; the batter should be thick and glossy.
- 3Spread the blueberries out in the bottom of the prepared pan. Spoon the batter evenly over the blueberries and smooth the batter out to the sides of the pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs on the toothpick and the top is flat and lightly browned.
Set the cake pan on a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack, remove pan. Place any blueberries remaining in an on cake and smooth out. Allow to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar. Serve cut in small slices with whipped topping.